ATM Usage and User Precautions
- Prepare your transactions (have card out, deposit slip filled out, etc.) before you approach the ATM to minimize the time spent at the machine.
- Do not display your cash; retrieve your card and receipt immediately. Verify the cash when you can safely do so.
- Save your receipt and match it to your statement.
- Do not accept assistance from strangers when using an ATM.
- Be aware of your surroundings before, during, and after the completion of your transaction.
- If the ATM is obstructed or it has poor lighting, go to another ATM.
- Consider taking another person with you to the ATM especially late at night.
- Does the ATM appear to have been altered (attachments to the card slot, keypad, brochure box, etc.)?
- Protect the information on your card and your Personal Identification Number (PIN) by standing between the ATM and anyone who is waiting to use the machine.
- Keep your PIN a secret. Do not give your PIN number to anyone.
- Do not lend your ATM card to anyone.
- Immediately report a lost or stolen card
- Do not write your PIN number on back of your card.
Drive-Up ATM Security
- Car doors should be locked, windows rolled up and your automobile engine running while using a drive-up ATM.
- Leave enough room between the card in front of you to exit should the need arise.
- If anything appears suspicious, cancel the transaction and immediately drive away.
- If you are followed when leaving the ATM, drive to the nearest crowded, well-lit location and call the police.
Point of Sale (POS) Security
- Do not allow a cashier or anyone else to enter your PIN for you.
- Block anyone else from viewing your PIN when using a POS terminal.
- Review the receipt before leaving.
- If you request cash back, immediately put it away before leaving.
- If using a POS terminal outside such as a gas station, be observant of your surroundings before making the transaction.
- If someone appears suspicious, leave and go to another POS terminal.
- If it is late night, take another person with you when using an outdoor POS terminal.
- If you feel you have been followed after making a POS transaction, drive to a crowded well lit area, fire station, sheriff or police department. Flash your lights and blow your horn to bring attention to you.
- If you are involved in a robbery situation while using your card, do not resist.
- Give the money to the suspect immediately.
- Sign card upon receipt in order to be valid.
- Destroy your old card when it expires or when your new card becomes effective.